Friday 11 November 2011

Repurposing A Frame


from this...

...to this ~


For a while now I've been wanting to figure out a decent display solution for all the cards that seem to be accumulating on my fridge and the increasing number of masterpieces my son is churning out these days... But I've been feeling a bit let down by Blu Tack lately - not only is it eating away at my walls but it seems to be a lot less sticky than it was back in the days of heart-throb posters... 

So I found a big wooden 2nd hand frame, removed the dodgy watercolour, glass and back board and repositioned the hooks to make it hang portrait...


...then marked out 7" intervals on either side of the frame where I wanted to place the strings for hanging stuff from...


...pushed, but not all the way, drawing pins (thumb tacks if you're Stateside) into the marked intervals...


...and finally, tightly knotted some strong cotton twine across the frame, held in place by the two corresponding drawing pins on either side, hammered the drawing pins securely down and snipped off the excess string.


And after a 10 minute fixer-upper project I now have the perfect little gallery for my son's works of art,  the ideal place to display on rotation all the cards that ever meant something, tickets to a certain upcoming Gillian Welch gig, and I'm sure the odd shopping list will find it's way there soon.

2 comments:

  1. I love this!!! Such a simple thing to make, but, oh, so effective. Thanks for sharing. I hope you don't mind, but I'm pinning this to make in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The queen of crafts!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts, and if you have any questions at all, I will reply to them within these comments - so please be sure to check back to get your answer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...